Gokayama: A village where traditional architecture, mountains, and history embrace in a World Heritage Site
Designated a UNESCO World Heritage site, Gokayama is a mountain village dedicated to maintaining and preserving its traditional architecture, thatched roofs, rice fields; a village where you’ll time slip into the past. Once the spot where bandits hid and the Maedas secretly produced armaments , Gokayama is a place where traditional A-frame and post-and-beam homes will inspire your ancient sensibilities. *The itinerary of this tour changes depending on the season.
1. After an 8:30am pick-up in your private car with a guide, drive along the Hietsukyo Line and enjoy the scenery as we head into the mountains.
2. A boat ride on the Yuran Ferry will give you exceptional views of the Komaki Dam and the Sho River.
3. After the 30-minute boat trip, you’ll get back in the car and enjoy the beautiful scenery as we drive to the hamlet of Suganuma, which is the heart of Gokayama. Here you’ll see traditional kayabuki (thatched A-frame) roofs on the houses of this working agricultural community. With the mountain backdrops, you’ll be transported to a different time.
4. After basking in Gokayama’s ambiance, you’ll enjoy an exquisite lunch at the renowned L’Ensoleiller.
5. On the way back to Kanazawa we’ll stop at Kotokuji in Fukumitsu. Known as the Temple of Light, you’ll see many exceptional works of Munakata Shiko and other artists. Their prints and paintings are done directly on the temple walls and screens, modern takes on themes such as nature and Heian-era tales.
6. Let’s head back to Kanazawa after this full day. You’ll be back at your hotel at 4:00pm.
2 persons: ¥132,000
3 persons: ¥161,000
4 persons: ¥190,000
Please click this link to contact us if you're looking for the cost for a solo traveller or a group of five or more.
We’ll pick you up at your hotel at 8:30am.
We’ll end the tour at your hotel at 4:00pm.
Private Car, Guide, Hotel Pick-Up, Restaurant Lunch, All Entrance Fees, Return to Hotel
Personal Purchases, Lunch Beverages
For a full refund or change of date (pending availability), please communicate by email to email@example.com at least five days before the scheduled start of your tour. If we receive your cancellation request by email to firstname.lastname@example.org between three and five days before your scheduled tour starts, we’ll refund 50% of your fee (or change your date, if possible). For all requests received less than 72 hours before the scheduled start time of your tour, no refunds or date changes will be issued. Date changes are one-time only and no refunds will be issued after one date change.