The essence of Fukui lies in the blending of ancient man-made customs and beliefs and architecture within its natural beauty. Exploring this mystical connection is the heart of this Fukui Adventure.
1. You will be picked-up at your hotel at 9:00 by your private car, driver, and guide.
2. Your adventure begins with a drive to Katsuyama to explore the Heisenji Hakusan Temple. This temple and the huge surrounding grounds were first deemed sacred and settled in the 8th century when the monk Taicho made the first recorded ascent of Hakusan. The mosses infuse wanderers with a sense of beauty and spiritual mystery. An early 15th century example of a karesansui garden, reputed to be one of the finest and significant of its time, also awaits your attention.
3. After luxuriating in the unique space that is the Heisenji Hakusan Temple grounds, it’s time for lunch. Fukui’s renowned soba is on the menu. Buckwheat noodles, served hot or cold as you please, highlight local Fukui cuisine and are the centerpiece of your lunch.
4. Next, you’re off to one of the most revered Soto Zen Buddhism temples in Japan. Eiheiji is a spiritual power spot. We tread lightly here as Eiheiji’s an active and vibrant devotional community home to students and scholars. Established in 1244, along with the veneration of the founder Dogen and his teachings, the history of Eiheiji echoes regional, natural, and political successes, disasters, and conflicts in this serene majestic cedar sanctuary. Stories are burgeoned by the piety and beauty wordlessly exuded in this tranquil place.
5. After exploring Eiheiji, you’ll return to your hotel for 17:00.